Denix Replica American Civil War Confederate Revolver designed by Griswold & Gunnison, USA (1860)
Gun Metal Grey Finish
The Griswold and Gunnison Confederate Revolver was produced in Griswoldville, Georgia. The revolver is a six shot .36 caliber revolver copied from the Colt 1851 Navy Revolver, with or without a brass frame. Its predecessor was known as the Griswold & Grier, but the designer, Samuel Griswold, later renamed it the Griswold & Gunnison, naming it after his business partner, Arvin Nye Gunnison.
Connecticut Yankee Samuel Griswold set up a cotton gin factory in Georgia around 1830 that quickly became the largest producer of cotton gins in the nation. Griswold's village, Griswoldville, was a company town with a cotton gin plant, a couple smaller factories, and a grist mill, a post office and a Church. In 1862, Griswold began producing pikes for volunteers from the state of Georgia. At the outbreak of the American Civil War, the Griswold cotton gin factory was leased to the Confederate government and retooled to make pistols and munitions at the behest of Georgia governor Joseph E. Brown. Griswoldville also served as a mustering site for Confederate and state troops. Brass was used instead of steel due to its shortage in the south. Church bells from Macon were often taken down and used. Also typical of the Griswold Revolver is a cylinder manufactured from twisted iron instead of steel. The arm below the barrel moves and slides the ram bar into the chamber which on the original pistol would ram the powder into the chamber.
No other Confederate factory produced more revolvers than Griswold & Gunnison. Approximately 3,700 revolvers were manufactured before production ended when Griswoldville was destroyed by Captain Frederick S. Ladd and his men of the 9th Michigan Volunteer Cavalry Regiment during the Battle of Griswoldville, the first of Sherman's March to the Sea, on November 20, 1864.
Enjoy these fine Wild West Replicas and everything they mean to you, created by Denix from Spain!
Also available in Dual Tone Black and Brass finish 1083/L
Features & Details
• Non-firing Replica based on the original
• Pull the hammer back to cock the pistol
• Pull the trigger to fire the hammer
• Catch release to break open & reload
• Barrel Length: 7.5”
• Overall Length: 35 cm
• Material: Gun Metal Grey Finish
• Handle Material: Wood Grip
• Weight: 975g
• Fires Denix Caps
The Griswold and Gunnison Confederate Revolver and its variants can be seen in the following films, and television series, and are used by the following Actors and Characters. *:
• The Last Days of Frank and Jesse James, Johnny Cash (Frank James), 1986
• Quigley Down Under, Ben Mendelsohn (O'Flynn), 1990
• The Night Before Christmas, (Thugs), Denix Civil War Confederate non-firing replica, 1994
• Bandidas, Salma Hayek (Sara Sandoval), 2006
• Assassination Games, Jean-Claude Van Damme (Vincent), 2011
• Free State of Jones, (Confederate Soldier), 2016
• Hell on Wheels, Anson Mount (Cullen Bohannon). 2011 - present
*Not a complete list.